For Covid-19 updates and information click here

Local support workers

Finding an enthusiastic local support worker can be an enormous help when your project’s getting off the ground.

Please note that job titles, remits and where you will find these workers may vary across Scotland.

What they do and where to find them

  • Food and health development worker: if you’re lucky your area may have a community food initiative employing a food and health development worker – contact us to find details on initiatives in your area
  • Health improvement workers: involved in developing communities and organisations to be more health promoting – contact your local health board to get in touch with your local health improvement worker
  • Community dietitian or nutritionist: employed by GP surgeries and hospitals, they can advise on the types of people in your community who have already sought advice on improving their diet as well as giving advice about how to improve nutrition locally
  • Community Learning and Development (CLD) workers: each local council has a CLD team that champions community action and community-based learning
  • Locality officers and neighbourhood managers: your council may employ a worker to support and encourage the improvement of your local area; they may hold area committee meetings where you can network and find out information on funding and local priorities