Negotiating for land, planning your garden or farm, health and safety are just some of the issues involved in setting up a community-owned garden or farm.
Guides and toolkits
- Community Growing Resource Pack, Scotland: a comprehensive introduction to setting up, developing and sustaining a community-managed farm, garden or related community growing space (Federation of City Farms and Community Gardens 2014)
- Our Growing Community: pack produced to help communities explore new places and more ways to grow their own food (Greenspace Scotland 2013)
Where to go for more advice
- Federation of City Farms and Community Gardens: supports, represents and promotes community-managed farms, gardens, allotments and other green spaces. (Guides and toolkits available free to members).
- Nourish Scotland: join their online network for local food blogs and forum
- Scottish Orchards: a network of orchard enthusiasts across Scotland