If people are employed to work on your project, you need to be aware of employer responsibilities and employees rights, such as:
- Contracts, hours and holidays
- Equal treatment rights
- Flexible working rights
- Redundancy and notice requirements
- Personal data protection rights
You must do a disclosure check if you take on a volunteer or staff member who has regular contact with children and protected adults – it is an offence to employ someone who has a history of harmful behaviour for this type of work.
Where to go for information
- ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service): has a helpline and a very useful website with information to download on all aspects of employment law from paternity leave and redundancy
- Equality and Human Rights Commission: a one-stop shop for all information on equality and disability rights; has a helpline, a comprehensive website; there is an office in Glasgow.
- Personal data an employer can keep about an employee (www.gov.uk)